Koenigsegg Regera “An Engineering Marvel”
Koenigsegg Regera is specifically designed to be a luxury Megacar alternative to Koenigsegg’s traditional extreme, light weight, race-like road cars.
The Koenigsegg Regera combines a powerful twin-turbo V8 combustion engine with three electric motors and cutting edge battery power via new powertrain technology called Koenigsegg Direct Drive. This revolutionary technology removes the traditional gearbox, making the car lighter and more efficient.
While traditional Koenigseggs have always had surprising levels of practicality, creature comforts and features, our primary focus has always been to make the fastest cars on the planet – around a racetrack or anywhere else. The Koenigsegg Regera continues this tradition, but with innovative technology that blends outrageous speed, supreme comfort, and a unique Direct Drive experience.
REGERA IS SWEDISH FOR ‘TO REIGN’
– a suitable name for a machine that offers an unforeseen combination of power, responsiveness and luxury. The Regera will reign as king of the open road – the fastest accelerating, most powerful production car ever.In spite of all its advanced technology and creature comforts, the Regera is comparatively light and can still perform competitively around a race circuit. How does 3.2 seconds between 150 to 250 km/h and under 20 seconds from 0 to 400 km/h sound? The only Hypercar/Megacar that we think could possibly be faster around a circuit is another Koenigsegg.
The Regera is to be handcrafted in an edition of just 80 vehicles at Koenigsegg’s production facility in Ängelholm, Sweden. This is the first time ever that Koenigsegg will have two different models in parallel production.
The heart of the matter
The heart and soul of every Koenigsegg is its Internal Combustion Engine – the ICE. The ICE of the Regera follows the path of its siblings, the proven and extremely reliable Koenigsegg dry-sump twin turbo, DOHC, 5.0 liter V8.
The Koenigsegg V8 is the most downsized homologated production ICE in the world, with 220hp per liter (using regular pump gas). The compact nature of the engine means the Regera is light in weight, and therefore nimble and efficient.
The Regera V8 differs slightly from our predecessor Agera engine. As the powertrain already produces a combined 1500hp and with electric propulsion providing instant torque from the Direct Drive system, we did not have to go as extreme on ICE power. Instead, we installed even smaller, faster-spooling turbos on the Regera, further enhancing the car’s drivability and response.
A new level of luxury
The Direct Drive transmission of the Regera delivers blistering performance, while at the same time offering one of the smoothest, most soothing driving experiences imaginable. It is a true Jekyll and Hyde experience that depends completely on your mood.
We have developed a completely new rear sub frame that allows the engine and transmission to rest on active soft mounts. When driving in normal conditions, the mounts stay soft and isolate engine noise and vibrations. During spirited driving, the mounts firm up to solidify the car and give greater response. The shock absorbers are active in both height and stiffness, adjusting instantly to your inputs behind the wheel.
The first fully robotized car
The Regera is the first car in the world that operates all body closures completely automatically, at the touch of a button. We call this system ‘Autoskin’.
Koenigsegg has managed to robotize the entire Regera with almost no weight penalty, thanks to the latest advances in compact lightweight hydraulic technology. The Regera features functions such as active front and rear wings, chassis control and lifting system as standard, so the hydraulic pumps and accumulators were already in place to implement automation of our doors and front/rear hoods. The Autoskin hydraulics replace gas struts of similar weight, resulting in minimal weight impact.
Autoskin features soft-closing mechanisms, giving the Regera a sophisticated feel. The fully robotized body system adds a mere 5 kg to the total weight of the car, making full robotization a very desirable option.
All openings and wing mirrors are fitted with proximity sensors to safeguard against the doors striking nearby objects (curb, low roof, etc) while opening or closing.
Revisiting the sound of another era
The Regera has a custom designed, tuned titanium exhaust system developed in conjunction with exhaust specialists and partners, Akrapovic. This unique exhaust system includes a fish tail outlet, designed by Christian, a design that has not been seen on production cars for at least half a century – bringing back the sound of performance cars from the past!
- 1100 Hp of combustion engine power on 91 octane DIN or 95 octane RON (a bit more on E85)
- 1250 Nm of combustion engine torque
- 700 Hp of electric propulsion
- 900 Nm of electric torque
- 4.5 kWh 800 Volt, flooded liquid cooled battery pack
- Over 1500 hp or 1.11 MW
- Over 2000 Nm of torque
- Dry weight 1470 kg
- 1,590 kg curb weight (including all liquids and full fuel tank)
- Foldable active rear wing (top mounted)
- Active independent front flaps
- Active ride height front and rear
- Active damping
- Total down force at 250 km/h 450Kg
- Total length: 4560 mm
- Total width: 2050 mm
- Total height: 1110 mm
- Low speed ground clearance: 105 mm
- Track mode ground clearance: 85 mm
- Front lifting system activated: 150 mm
- Wheelbase: 2662 mm
- Fuel capacity: 82 litres
- Luggage compartment: 150 litres
- Dry weight 1420kg (Curb weight 1628 kg)
- Carbon fiber with aluminum honeycomb, with centrally integrated fuel tank and battery storage
- Monocoque torsional rigidity: 65,000 Nm/degree
- Weight including tanks: 75 kg
- Electronically adjustable ride height, fully independent per wheel
- Fully machined aircraft aluminum uprights, with SKF LeMans specification
- 150mm angle contact ball bearings
- GKN hollow/gun-drilled drive shafts
- Koenigsegg Z-style progressive and lightweight anti-roll bars front and rear
- Koenigsegg Engine Control Module
- (K-ECM) with full OBD II for both ICE and ED
- Koenigsegg Direct Drive (KDD)
- Front: – Ventilated ceramic discs Ø397 mm, 40 mm wide 6-piston
- Rear: – Ventilated ceramic discs Ø380 mm, 34 mm wide 4-piston
- Koenigsegg calipers with ceramic pistons
- Koenigsegg calipers
- 3 settings Wet – Normal – Track
Wheels and Tires
- Koenigsegg 2nd generation Aircore™ Superlight carbon fiber wheels with centre locking
- Front: 19” x 9.75”
- Rear: 20” x 12.5”
- Dedicated Michelin Supersport
- Unidirectional with asymmetric thread pattern
- Front: 275/35 – 19” (Y)
- Rear: 345/30 – 20” (Y)
- Optional dedicated Michelin Cup2 tires
- Two-door, two seater with removable structural hardtop stowable under the front hood
- Body made from pre-impregnated carbon fiber/kevlar and lightweight sandwich reinforcements
COMBUSTION ENGINE – ICE
- Koenigsegg twin turbo aluminum 5,0L V8,
- 4 valves per cylinder, double overhead camshafts, dry sump lubrication
- Compression: 9.3:1
- Bore: 92 mm Stroke: 95.25 mm
- Twin ceramic ball bearing turbo chargers with Koenigsegg patented backpressure reduction system, 1.4 bar boost pressure
- Active hydraulic engine mounts
- Dry sump lubrication
- Carbon fiber intake manifold with optimized intake tracts
- Total engine weight: 189 kg
- Power output – Premium gasoline –
- 820kW (1100Hp) at 7800 rpm – redline at 8250 rpm
- Torque: 1000 Nm from 2700 to 6170 rpm
- Max torque – 1280 Nm at 4100 rpm
- 870 Nm and 525 kW (700hp) with torque fill and torque vectoring functionality.
- 800V 4.5kWh liquid cooled battery pack; total weight 75kg.
TOTAL PROPULSION – ICE + ED
- 1,11 MW/1500 hp